Thursday 20 June 2013

Mid Week Cycle 20th June


It was a lovely sunny evening yesterday but I got caught up with other things, although I stopped to take a quick picture of the LHT looking out over the castle and the sea on the way home.


This evening the weather was not so good with rain threatening. I needed to get out on the bike and work some things through in my head, so I took the route to Cockburnspath I know pretty well. It is easy to get into a rhythm, cycling along, and letting my mind wander when I know the destination.
 

Beside the track to Torness is fresh expanse of new wheat with waves of green as the breeze blew gently across.


I stopped at the Cockburnspath post office and shop. It was closed, no great surprise, but the cards in the windows provide an interesting insight into village life.





The lane behind the shop leads to the church. Its a fine old building that I don't really know much about other than it quite obviously has an unusual round bell tower. This was built in the 1650s and I've heard stories that it was this design to support a light as a beacon towards the sea. I doubt this.


It looks good though. The little slit windows in the tower are stained glass, as are the larger side windows illuminating the main aisle of the kirk.


The rain had started and the light was poor for getting any pictures but I find churchyards all the more atmospheric in dank weather. Time was getting on, so I headed back.  A couple of hundred yards short of twenty miles tonight and I have to get back into having more little outings like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment